There are a number of ways in which you can assist us in carrying out our work. We mention some of the areas below but if you have any ideas you would like to discuss with us then please do not hesitate to contact us. As we are a registered charity and receive no local authority or National Lottery funding we depend entirely on the generosity of members of the public.
1) Donate money to the sanctuary. There are a number of different ways to do this:
a. Make a one-off donation or setup a regular subscription online now (see our Donation page).
b. Send a cheque or postal order, made payable to The Swan Sanctuary, to Felix Lane, Shepperton, Middlesex, TW17 8NN. If you are a UK taxpayer then please complete a GIFT AID DECLARATION and send it with your donation – this will enable us to reclaim the tax you’ve paid on the amount donated which currently amounts to 25 pence for every pound.
c. If you are a UK taxpayer you can donate all or part of of your tax repayment to us using your Self Assessment return.
d. Payroll Giving. If your employer runs a Payroll Giving scheme you can donate money to us before tax is deducted, so you get tax relief straight away. For example, if you are a higher rate taxpayer and you give £10 per month it would only actually cost you £6 per month.
e. Leave us a legacy in your Will. The form of wording that your solicitor may wish to use for
(i) a pecuniary bequest could be as follows: “I BEQUEATH to THE SWAN SANCTUARY of Felix Lane, Shepperton, Middlesex, TW17 8NN (registered charity number 1002582) the sum of X pounds (£X) for its general charitable purposes”;
(ii) a residuary bequest could be as follows: “I BEQUEATH to THE SWAN SANCTUARY of Felix Lane, Shepperton, Middlesex, TW17 8NN (registered charity number 1002582) all the residuary estate (or specify a share, for example a half or quarter share) for its general charitable purposes” (This presupposes that the residuary estate has been defined elsewhere.);
(iii) a specific bequest could be as follows: “I BEQUEATH to THE SWAN SANCTUARY of Felix Lane, Shepperton, Middlesex, TW17 8NN (registered charity number 1002582) all my …. (eg. freehold/leasehold land and property situated at and known as…, or, my stocks and shares quoted on the UK or any other Stock Exchange…, or, my personal chattels as defined by Section 55 (i)(x) of the Administration of Estates Act 1925)”.
2) Donate shares and securities, land or buildings to the sanctuary. You can get income tax relief when you donate quoted shares and securities, land or buildings to a charity. For example, if you donate shares worth £1,000 you could reduce your income tax bill by £400. No capital gains tax would be due on the gift.
3) Sponsor a swan for £15.00 per year (see our Sponsorship page).
4) Buy from our web shop (see our Shop page)
5) Donate any swan-related items such as paintings of waterfowl, ornaments, or any old books about birds etc.
6) Become a volunteer at the sanctuary, be it helping with the animal husbandry or rescuing.
7) Search the web using EasySearch. Every time you search the web using this link Easysearch will give the sanctuary 50% of the fees paid by their advertising sponsors.
8) If you buy from Amazon use this link: Amazon. It won’t cost you a penny more and having the Swan Sanctuary as your favourite charity will raise money for us.
10) Raise donations for the Swan Sanctuary every time you shop on line at major stores using the EasyFundRaising Link
If you have any queries regarding the above or if you would like to discuss anything further then please do not hesitate to contact us.